Art 200x Class Blog

by Kyleigh Salinas

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

French and American Enlightenment

    The era of Enlightenment is an especially important one because it rippled through the entirety of the western world including the United States, whereas previous artistic eras were predominately central to Europe. At this time, there was a growing divide between the economic classes and an ever-apparent contempt for the ruling class. The stark discrepancies between the upper and lower/middle classes during the time of Enlightenment are plainly conveyed through the contrasting artistic subject matter that each beheld. Likewise, the significance American Revolution influenced art in North America just as it did all the way across the Atlantic in Europe.

The Interrupted Sleep by Francios Boucher (1750.) Oil on canvas.

    The Interrupted Sleep (1750 ) painted by french artist Francios Boucher is an example of the Rococo style utilized by nobility and the ruling class during the time of the Enlightenment. It portrays a shepherd tickling awake a young shepherdess with a feather in a beautiful wooded area. It is dreamy, romantic, and completely unrealistic. The wardrobe of the two people is uncharacteristic of their roles. The elaborate corset and bodice of the girl and the silk scarf of the boy were not possessed by actual shepherds during this time. The components of this painting that make it a Rococo painting are not only its pastel colors, carefree feel, romantic undertones, and mystical naturalistic setting. It is also the ignorant portrayal and romanticization of working-class people and is important in understanding the significance of this time period as an uprising of common people and ultimately the beginning of the downfall of the monarchy. 

    

    Would I have this painting in my home? It certainly is beautiful and the ignorance of the subject matter aside is rather romantic. So although I would like to say no, and I don’t particularly find it striking, I would say yes. Maybe I would hang it in my bathroom.

   

The Lictors Bring to Brutus the Body of His Son (1789.) Oil on canvas.

    The neoclassical style was very much in opposition to the Rococo. Where Neoclassicalism represents morality, regularity, and logic; Rococo represents dreaminess, asymmetry, and playfulness. These artistic styles reflect the polar opposite realities of the two divided classes. Neoclasicaims is meant to criticize the irresponsibility of the aristocracy and the repercussions it had on the common people. (1.)  The Lictors Bring to Brutus the Body of His Son by Jacques-Lois David is a depiction of the ancient Roman story of Lucious Junius Brutus, the believed founder of the Roman Republic. After discovering that his son was involved in a plan to overthrow him and restore the Roman monarchy, he had him put to death. This is a moment showcasing the decision to choose the prosperity of The Republic over his family. The gap of space between Brutus and his wife and daughters, who throw their heads back in despair, represents the instantaneous disconnect that Brutus’ decision has created between him and his family. Many believe this to be a commentary by David on the current events of the French Revolution. The Lictors Bring to Brutus the Body of His Son includes several characteristic aspects of Neoclasicalism, including straight lines, intentional geometry of form, and ancient Roman stories as its primary subject matter. (2.)
    

    The ideology and outrage that fueled the French Revolution were widely set into motion by the inspiration that the beginning of The American Revolution sparked. After it was shown that it was feasible to demand reform and even independence from rulers, intense criticism of the ruling class across Europe became a cornerstone of change. One of the most notable North American artists of the American Revolution was John Trumbell, who depicted battle scenes from the Revolutionary War as well as numerous portraits of the revolution’s leaders. One of the most famous of these portraits is titled George Washington Before the Battle of Trenton


George Washington Before the Battle of Trenton (1792-94.) Oil on canvas.

    The significance of this moment before a focal battle is emphasized by the intense scenery around him. A soldier attempts to settle a bucking horse to his left, and the looming clouds overhead allude to the intensity in the air. I, personally, don't think that I would enjoy this in my home. George Washington is just not that close to my heart.


Works Cited

   Buser, Thomas. "Mark Harden's Artchive: "Neo-Classical Art"". Artchive.Com, 2022, https://www.artchive.com/artchive/neo_classical.html.

    Crow, Thomas. "Art: The Lictors Returning To Brutus The Body Of His Sons". Learner.Org, 2022, https://www.learner.org/series/art-through-time-a-global-view/history-and-memory/lictors-returning-to-brutus-the-bodies-of-his-sons/#:~:text=Lictors%20Returning%20to%20Brutus%20the%20Bodies%20of%20his%20Sons%20demonstrates,of%20form%20and%20linear%20contours.



    


3 comments:

  1. Great job, Kyleigh! I honestly do not like any of these paintings and I would not want them in my home. I do find them to be intriguing but historical paintings always seemed so bland and boring to me. I feel like the use of colors and brush strokes contribute a lot towards my belief. I mostly like landscapes so owning anyone of these paintings would not excite me. I like how you clearly stated the differences between the neoclassical art and the rococo art, I think the different types of art is inspiring! In George Washington Before the Battle of Trenton, he is standing proudly after the defeat of his opposition, everybody around him seems to be in awe including the horse. This art piece is very inspiring but I agree with you, I don't care for it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kyleigh! Of all the paintings you displayed, my favorite is the first. I think it encompasses the light colors and playfulness of the Rococo style well. I also agree that I would not want a copy of it myself. I like the pastel colors, and I think it is well-detailed. However, as you mentioned, I don’t love the “romanticization of working-class people” involved in the painting. I like your transition from the second piece to the third piece. I feel the themes of duty– such as to a republic or people–over family translate well. The second piece Brutus kills his son who wanted to overthrow the Republic whereas George Washington is involved in a separation of the United States from the United Kingdom. In both paintings, there’s a severing of family ties and a lean to independence. Honestly, I wouldn’t want copies of any of these. They do not particularly align with any of my material desires. I wouldn’t even know where to put them. Can you imagine using the bathroom at your friend’s place while the George Washington painting watches you? That sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Interrupted Sleep is a great example of disconnect between the bourgeoisie and the working class. You mention the clothes being rightfully unrealistic for the working class. I would also argue that the woman’s hairstyle in the painting is unrealistic for the working class. Everything about this people in this painting suggest there is much time for leisure, and they always look carefully put together. There was little time to look put together when their only focus would be on survival. This is a great way to dissect how the wealthier classes always impose their lifestyles on the working class. In this context it becomes easy to understand how they chose ignorance during major events like the beginning of the French Revolution. The wealthier class in ignorance had themselves believe that the working class was afforded the luxury for this kind of leisurely attire and appearance. The wealthy class were always taken care of by servants and maids alike. Secondly, I find it interesting you would hang this in the bathroom. I always find the bathroom to be an interesting choice to display artwork. I usually reserve the bathroom for artwork that is not necessarily my favorite but fits the theme of the room.

    ReplyDelete

Non-Western: Mexico

      The Mexican Revolution was a ten-year-long political crisis and civil war that left over a million people dead. In the wake of the Mex...